Director of Fund and Business Development
Posted August 8, 2019; Position Available September 3, 2019
This is an exciting opportunity for an energetic self-starter to join the senior leadership team of the Parent Encouragement Program (PEP), a highly regarded nonprofit organization in the DC area that has just completed a strategic realignment process and is re-positioned for growth.
Founded in 1982, PEP’s goal is for all children to have the opportunity to grow up in a supportive family environment where they can thrive, reach their full potential, and become contributing members of society. To achieve our vision, PEP provides parents and caregivers with resources, support and strategies that will help them build strong, harmonious family relationships. We help adults foster the values of mutual respect, shared responsibility, competence and cooperation in young people, preparing them to make positive contributions to their families, their communities and the world at large.
Since our founding, PEP has served over 40,000 parents and caregivers in the Washington metropolitan region and beyond. PEP’s programs are renowned and award-winning: in 2019, our two online master classes won Telly Awards (which honors excellence in video and television across all screens); our parenting articles have won awards from the Parent Media Association for the past several years; we are regularly called by journalists from the Washington Post, Wall Street Journal, Fox DC news, and other media for commentary; and syndicated columnist Carolyn Hax has repeatedly recommended our programs to her readers, citing them as “excellent,” most recently in July 2019.
PEP’s business model is based on a combination of fee-for-service programs and contributed revenue from individuals, businesses, foundations and local government. In addition, PEP will embark on a major gifts campaign in 2019/2020 to fund our new strategic direction which calls for growth and an increased focus on delivering parenting education to institutions that serve parents and families, such as schools, child care centers, hospitals, grantmakers, corporate wellness programs, and other nonprofit organizations.
PEP’s current budget is about $500,000, we have 5 staff positions, and about 50 active parent educators who deliver our parenting classes and support. With our new strategic positioning, upcoming major gifts campaign and new opportunities for forming institutional partnerships, we expect to grow significantly in the next 3 to 5 years. The Director of Fund and Business Development position is a key position to help secure and steer that growth.
Reporting to the Executive Director and working closely with the Board of Directors and its Fund Development Committee, the Director of Fund and Business Development will be responsible for the following:
- Develop and execute PEP’s annual fundraising plan, including individual giving campaign, business sponsors, and foundation and government grants.
- Support the development and execution of PEP’s 2019/2020 major gifts campaign.
- Develop grant proposals and budgets for PEP programs, manage the collection of data and financial information for reports, and prepare reports.
- Develop and execute a donor communications plan to include regular email updates, PEP’s annual report, and other donor communiques and reports.
- Research and identify grant prospects.
- Manage donor record keeping, gift processing and donor acknowledgement.
- Research and identify prospects for institutional partnerships, including identifying conferences and other networking opportunities for developing relationships with such partners.
- Develop proposals, contracts and budgets for PEP’s work with institutional partners.
- Both independently and with the Executive Director and/or board members, attend cultivation events and sales meetings with potential institutional partners, and prepare collateral materials as needed.
- Develop and execute a communications plan to keep in touch with potential and existing partners.
- 5 years or more of professional experience in fund development, business development and/or sales, with at least 2 of the years focused on fund development.
- 3 years or more of experience in proposal or contract writing.
- Experience with budget preparation and strong facility with numbers and spreadsheets.
- Highly organized and able to wear multiple hats in a fast-moving environment.
- A consummate team player with a flexible and creative approach.
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a commitment to PEP’s mission.
- Bachelor’s degree required; graduate degree preferred.
OTHER INFORMATION & TO APPLY
- Compensation is commensurate with experience.
- The position is envisioned as a 32 to 40 hour a week position.
- To apply, please send a cover letter, resume, 3 year salary history and requirements, and your work hour availability (between 32 and 40 hours) to Kathy Hedge, Executive Director, at Kathy.Hedge@pepparent.org.
The Parent Encouragement Program (www.PEPparent.org) is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender, identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.