The Parent Encouragement Program (PEP) seeks an energetic, self-starter to join the PEP team as its Marketing Director. This is an exciting opportunity to work with a highly regarded nonprofit organization in the DC area that has recently re-positioned itself for increased impact and growth.
Founded in 1982, PEP’s goal is for all children to have the opportunity to grow up in a supportive family environment where they can thrive, reach their full potential, and become contributing members of society. To achieve our vision, PEP provides parents and caregivers with resources, support and strategies that will help them build strong, harmonious family relationships. We help adults foster the values of mutual respect, shared responsibility, competence and cooperation in young people, preparing them to make positive contributions to their families, their communities and the world at large.
Since our founding, PEP has served over 50,000 parents and caregivers in the Washington metropolitan region and beyond. PEP’s programs are renowned and award-winning: in 2019, our two online masterclasses won Telly Awards (which honors excellence in video and television across all screens); our parenting articles have won awards from the Parent Media Association for the past several years; we are regularly called by journalists from the Washington Post, Wall Street Journal, and other media for commentary; and syndicated columnist Carolyn Hax has repeatedly recommended our programs to her readers, citing PEP most recently in March 2021.
PEP’s business model is based on a combination of fee-for-service programs and contributed revenue from individuals, businesses, foundations and government. PEP is currently embarking on a major gifts campaign to fund our new strategic direction, focusing on growth and increasing parenting education support for institutions serving parents and families, such as schools, companies, health care providers, grantmakers, and other nonprofit organizations.
PEP’s current budget is about $600,000, we have 9 staff positions, and about 50 active parenting educators who deliver our parenting classes and support. With our new strategic positioning, major gifts campaign and opportunities for forming institutional partnerships, we expect to grow significantly in the next 3 to 5 years. The Marketing Director will play a key role in steering that growth, enabling parents of all walks of life to benefit from PEP’s programs.
In collaboration with the executive director, key staff, and outside consultants, the Marketing Director will develop a strategic marketing and communications plan to increase PEP’s visibility to external audiences; reach new and diverse audiences, and grow PEP’s earned revenue from fee-based programs. The plan should include components for public relations, media relations, digital communications, platform integration, key messaging, storytelling, and brand experience. The Marketing Director will take the lead in the implementation and continual updating and improvement to the plan. Specific areas of work will include:
- Conceive, lead, manage and execute campaigns that employ social media, email and other digital media primarily within the B2B marketplace.
- Oversee the social media posts strategy and outreach, engaging with key constituencies and ensuring consistent branding and consistency with overall marketing objectives. • With Marketing Coordinator, plan and execute regular email marketing that drives program enrollment.
- Create consistent look and feel for e-newsletter, social media graphics, flyers, event materials, and one-pagers as needed, and oversee external graphic designers.
- Ensure that branding and copy across all marketing channels are consistent and in alignment with overall marketing objectives.
- Ensure that marketing materials are of high quality and consistent with brand.
Website and Platform Management:
- Ensure that marketing operations are utilizing functions available through Salesforce database and Teachable online course platform to automate and maximize processes and opportunities.
- Oversee PEP’s online learning platform and website and the contractors who support those platforms, and participate in FY22/FY23 special project to update these platforms
- Integrate marketing efforts using Salesforce database, and serve as staff lead for any updates or changes to Salesforce
- Identity and maximize PEP presence at key conferences
- Work with other staff and PEP leaders to develop/use PEP content to help increase online presence and traffic (e.g. press releases, lead magnets, tips, quizzes, etc.).
- Create the annual department budgets for marketing & communications and IT platforms and assume responsibility for their administration.
- Supervise the Marketing Coordinator, platform contractor, and other platform vendors and consultants.
The ideal candidate is equally passionate about the mission of PEP and marketing as a means of expanding organizational impact. Specific qualifications include:
- 10 years professional experience in marketing, communications or another related field
- Strong technical, computer and software skills, including experience with Salesforce (or a similar database) and digital platforms. Direct experience with Teachable, SalesForce, and/or WordPress a plus.
- Experience with e-mail marketing, lead generation, social media strategy (LinkedIn, Facebook) and general marketing campaign development.
- Exceptionally strong communication skills, both written and oral.
- Strong organizational skills, including financial oversight and planning capability, and ability to troubleshoot, multitask and manage several projects at once.
- Commitment to building and maintaining a strong, diverse, inclusive, and collaborative team culture, and listening to and elevating staff voices internally and externally.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Enthusiasm, a passion for parent education, and a sense of humor are a plus
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and experience. Advanced/MBA degree preferred.
Salary and Benefits
Salary is commensurate with experience. Benefits include time off for vacation and personal days and federal holidays, and health benefits, along with access to unlimited opportunities to take PEP programs at no fee. This is a full-time position with the possibility for flexible hours and a hybrid work model. Occasional evenings and weekends may be required. PEP is a family-friendly work environment that offers flexibility to working parents and caregivers.
Please send a resume and detailed cover letter, with salary expectations, to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: [Your Name] – Marketing Director. No phone calls please.
PEP is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender, identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.